Bowes and Bounds Connected

A Community Network for Bowes Park and Bounds Green

Following all the issues after the introduction of the May 2018 railway timetable GTR railway company has been made to set up a fund to improve stations affected: https://www.passengerbenefitfund.co.uk/the-fund/

This means that Bowes Park will get £80,000 to improve the station for passengers!

GTR have published a list of potential ideas: https://www.passengerbenefitfund.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/l..., including:

• Fit solar panels to the station

• Adding a 'living plant wall'/bee garden or other environmental options

• Improvements to the station toilets.

• Additional customer seating

• Additional waiting shelters

• Canopies over ticket vending machines

• Additional ticket vending machines

• Additional cycle parking facilities

• Increasing cycle security measures at stations

• Additional customer information screens

Works on stations are more expensive than you would expect, so helpfully they have given some approximate costs for a range of items:

https://www.passengerbenefitfund.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/L...

Apparently there is a 3 month window for local groups to suggest ideas.

More immediately, they have some outreach events, the closest one to us is at St Pancras on Monday 10 June. https://www.passengerbenefitfund.co.uk/getting-involved/

What to people think? What would the £80,000 best be spent on?

Views: 1171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice that funding is being made available although I understand that you don't get much for £80k on the railway. I'd like to see an additional couple of Oyster card readers to cope with the commuter crush, however I think Oyster is a TfL system so perhaps GTR can't deliver that. A lift or step free access would undoubtedly be too expensive but a shelter or two, additional benches and planters on the platforms might be a good option. I hope Leafy Bean Cafe is doing well - do they need any (cost effective) improvements to their premises to support this local business?

This is great to get additional funding and agree with some of the suggestions made already (departure boards over the bridge and more card readers to ease the queues) but really do think pushing for a ramp would be very helpful. You will be surprised with the number of people who don't help with buggies or worse travelling during the quieter hours trying to get up and down those stairs with no one there to ask for any help. 

With the Great Northern line crossing with the Thameslink it would make travelling with heavy suitcases etc. much easier too. I think the station would be used more with a ramp for better access if it had one. There isn't a cost mentioned in the doc with regards to a ramp so it wouldn't hurt to find out.

I used to work at the Office of the Rail Regulator, but sadly not on the financial regime within which Network Rail had to operate.  I know the railway is a difficult and expensive environment for some sorts of works, mainly on the tracks, but sometimes including stations.  But how can it cost £20-50k to refurbish toilets?  Or £1k per seat for platform seating?  These jobs could easily be done without closing the station, working at night or having to meet any railway-specific requirements.  No commercial business would pay that much for these sorts of improvement.

I would definitely be in favour of a (unisex) toilet, especially for the occasions when a train is cancelled!

also a destination board on the bridge.

Easier station access for the infirm and disabled.  No point of having the new trains with disabled access if one can’t get in or out of the station,

I’d be very keen on a ramp for the disabled and people with prams. Would make a huge difference. Would this be too expensive?

There are some great ideas in this thread.

As the deadline for this is getting close, I thought I would attempt to put together a list of five ideas in priority order for submission to GTR:

1. Improved Access to the platforms - A ramp or lift

2. An extra departure board on the overbridge - with Bounds Green tube departures too

3. Extra Oystercard readers

4. Additional seats on the platform

5. A waiting shelter at the South West end of the platforms.

What do you think?

All look like affordable (apart from ramp and lift) and sensible suggestions . The extra oystercard readers should really becoming from them rather than the budget fund. the ramp will be a bit of an ask. presumably that would be opposite to the current entrance and double back onto the platform. nice idea but delivery logistics might be challenging never mind management issues of people misusing it. a lift is a bit beyond the £80k budget methinks. 

Thanks for putting in the thought and effort. 

I agree with the 5 suggestions. 

Sounds ideal! Thank you for prioritising improved access. 

Sounds good to me!

Thanks for your comments. I have now submitted this list to GTR.

Everyone is able to submit ideas until 31 July on the website given at the start of the thread.

RSS

Advertising

Support this site

We operate as a volunteer-run community project, accepting advertising helps cover our costs. Whilst it's cheap to run the site - it's not free. If you can help - please consider making a donation..

© 2019   Created by Richard McKeever.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...